Leadership and survival are one and the same. Without leadership you will not survive.
Adam Tuffnell, Sept 2013
Throughout his 20-year sailing career, Adam Tuffnell has sailed in some of the most hostile environments on the planet, ranging from the freezing wilderness of the Southern Ocean through to the debilitating humidity of the tropics.
He is one of a select group of sailors who have circumnavigated the world against prevailing winds and currents, a feat which until recently was considered impossible. He has faced hurricanes, collisions, flooding and the emergency medical evacuation of a crew-mate.
Adam has also built a successful sailing school and trained future Round-theWorld racing crews from zero-experience to a state of ocean-going readiness. His energy and passion for sailing was formed as a child in small dinghies and ‘globalised’ through racing the BT Global Challenge, in 2000.
As a graduate in Psychology and Philosophy and an accomplished sailor, Adam has unique insight into the practical applications of effective leadership and team development within the challenging environments of open-water and the corporate office.
What has Adam achieved?
• Adam is a round the world yachtsman who has circumnavigated the globe ‘the wrong-way’ against prevailing winds and tides
• He was one of only 12 skippers selected by Clipper to train amateur round-the-world crews from scratch to race readiness
• Principal of a successful sailing school
• Personal development coach
• Team building course leader
• Skipper of numerous offshore and ocean racing teams most recently a crew of 12 in the Fastnet 2013.
• Worked extensively for Tall Ships Youth Trust skippering young people from underprivileged backgrounds
• Presented at Royal Military Academy Sandhurst and HMS Sultan as part of armed forces officer leadership training course